Perryville Elementary School History
From the earliest recorded minutes found from the Boyle County Board of Education, land was purchased from George Warren and his wife for the development of a Graded High School in Perryville, Kentucky. The spot of the future school was then simply known as "Warren Hill". The board hired Mr. Vandalson, as the architect, and Mr. H.B. Rickets, as the contractor, to design and construct the school. Perryville School opened for its first term in September of 1915. Attendance recored for Perryville High School for the first session indicated 21 freshmen, 12 sophomores, 10 juniors, and 3 seniors from the Perryville area and 12 contract transfers from Danville City Schools.
Upon completion of the eighth grade, each student was required to take the county examination. Passing the examination allowed the student to receive the county diploma and to enter high school. Successful completion of the high school curriculum entitled the student to the state diploma. Woodstoves were used in earlier years. Wood was delivered to the school by a horse and a wagon. Later, a coal furnace heated the school. It has been quoted, "Oh, those hissing radiators!"
The latest renovation of the whole school began in the spring of 2001 and finished in the summer of 2002. New heating and central air-conditioning, new gym floor and bleachers, new kitchen and appliances, new office area, new library/media center, new computer lab, new windows, and complete renovation (adding a new Intermediate Classroom wing) of all classrooms were completed.
Landscaping and a remodeled front parking lot, addition of a new bus departure and pick-up and additional parking at side of building were added in 2005.
The Ice Storm of 2009 damaged the trees in front of the building and they had to be removed for safety reasons. Now a lone Blue-Spruce which was planted in December of 2008 stands by the flag pole.